- Gas Stations and Open Space in Wedgwood: the Morningside Substation
- Business Changes and Development Pressures in Northeast Seattle: Neighborhood Stores
- Gas Stations and Growth in Northeast Seattle: Gray’s Service Station
- Searching for the Origins of Seattle Street Names
- The Preston Brothers: from Maine to Seattle
Category Archives: churches
From 1936 to 1940 King County, Washington, which includes the greater Seattle area, undertook a survey of all existing buildings, both houses and businesses. The survey was 75% funded by the federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) which helped provide jobs … Continue reading
On September 10, 2016, there will be a tour of two modern architectural churches in the Wedgwood neighborhood: Our Lady of the Lake and University Unitarian.
There are four church buildings within the boundaries of northeast Seattle’s Wedgwood neighborhood from NE 75th to 95th Streets. Each congregation has had different locations, buildings and names over the years. The names and the patterns of use of the … Continue reading
In the 1920s and 1930s before Wedgwood acquired its name, its sense of identity and defined boundaries, the name Morningside was often used for the neighborhood. Beginning in 1913 the Morningside Heights plat on the west side of 35th Ave … Continue reading
A massive earthquake struck the city of San Francisco in the early morning hours of April 18, 1906. But worse than the damage caused by the earthquake itself were the fires which raged through the city for three days afterward. … Continue reading
The first Unitarian church in Seattle was founded in 1885 and met in a downtown location. The migration of the church to the University District and then to the Wedgwood neighborhood, parallels the historical lines of growth of northeast Seattle.