Category Archives: name of the neighborhood

Balch’s Office Buildings in Wedgwood

In 1940 the Wedgwood neighborhood did not yet exist in northeast Seattle.  There were vast tracts of undeveloped land and except for Hansen’s Tavern at NE 85th Street, there were no other businesses at that intersection on 35th Ave NE. … Continue reading

Posted in Architecture, Balch, name of the neighborhood | Tagged , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Wedgwood’s Commercial Intersections

In early years before the Wedgwood neighborhood in northeast Seattle acquired its identity, it did not have a commercial center on 35th Ave NE at NE 85th Street as it does today.  In the 1920s there was much more residential … Continue reading

Posted in Balch, businesses, community council (present time), name of the neighborhood | Tagged , , , , , , | 3 Comments

A Walk Through Wedgwood History

Take a Walk Through Wedgwood History with me, Valarie, on any/all Saturdays in September 2015.  We will meet under the Safeway sign, 35th Ave NE at the corner of NE 75th Street at 10 AM.  We will look at the … Continue reading

Posted in boundaries, businesses, community council (present time), name of the neighborhood, Neighborhood features | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

Names in the Neighborhood: LaVilla

In March 1945 during the final battles of World War Two in Europe, a homesick soldier wrote a letter to the Seattle Daily Times newspaper.  Lieutenant Ralph A. Penington, age 34, was with the US Army’s 10th Mountain Division in Italy.  … Continue reading

Posted in name of the neighborhood, Plat names | Tagged , , , , , | 1 Comment

The AYPE and the Growth of Northeast Seattle

The Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition (AYPE) was a world’s fair held in 1909 on the campus of the University of Washington in northeast Seattle. After the move of the university to its present site in 1895, the AYPE of 1909 was the … Continue reading

Posted in Events and holidays, Land records and surveys, name of the neighborhood, Plat names | Tagged , , , , | 2 Comments

From Morningside to Wedgwood Presbyterian Church

In the 1920s and 1930s before Wedgwood acquired its name, a sense of identity and defined boundaries, the name Morningside was often used for the neighborhood.  Beginning in 1913 the Morningside Heights plat on the west side of 35th Ave … Continue reading

Posted in churches, name of the neighborhood, Plat names | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Redefining the Boundaries of Wedgwood in the 1950s

In the 1940s and 1950s the neighborhoods of northeast Seattle grew rapidly, with housing developments filling up what had been semi-rural areas which were still outside the city limits.  Some people resisted the process of being absorbed into the City … Continue reading

Posted in boundaries, community club (old), name of the neighborhood, Plat names | Tagged , , | 3 Comments