Tag Archives: the 1950s in Wedgwood

Wilson’s Food Store in Wedgwood

From 2012 to 2018 the building at 2415 NE 80th Street was the home of the NE Seattle Tool Library, an initiative of the NE Seattle Sustainable movement.  The Tool Library is a lending library for items which can be … Continue reading

Posted in businesses | Tagged , , , , , | 3 Comments

Gas Stations and Open Space in Wedgwood: the Morningside Substation

Even in the short history of the Wedgwood neighborhood in northeast Seattle, there are some sites which have had multiple different buildings and uses over time.  One such site is the northwest corner of NE 86th Street on 35th Ave … Continue reading

Posted in gas stations, Land records and surveys, name of the neighborhood, Neighborhood features, parks, Plat names | Tagged , , | 3 Comments

Wedgwood’s Business District in 1958

All of the Wedgwood neighborhood came into the Seattle City Limits in 1954, and then all of Wedgwood’s businesses were listed in the Seattle City Directories.  The business listings are a fascinating look at the economics and lifestyle of the … Continue reading

Posted in businesses, gas stations | Tagged , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Names in the Neighborhood: Wedgwood’s Boundaries and Neighborhood Identity

In the early 1900s Wedgwood in northeast Seattle did not have a name or definite identity as a neighborhood. Some areas in or near Seattle, such as the Fremont neighborhood, had been started with an official name.  In May 1888 … Continue reading

Posted in boundaries, community club (old), name of the neighborhood, Neighborhood features | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

The House in the Road

The years 1945 to 1955, from the end of World War Two until the Wedgwood neighborhood came completely into the city limits of Seattle, were years of rapid change.  The population of Seattle had swelled with war workers in the … Continue reading

Posted in Controversies, Houses, Plat names, streets | Tagged , , , , , , | 2 Comments

Bud Gagnon’s Wedgewood Pharmacy

Bud & Dolly Gagnon were the owners of the Wedgewood Pharmacy from 1952 to 1972 (spelled with that extra “e!!”) and the Gagnons saw the drugstore business evolve from old-time traditions into the streamlined service of the modern era. Bud Gagnon … Continue reading

Posted in businesses, name of the neighborhood | Tagged , , , | 8 Comments