The Ballard neighborhood in northwest Seattle was an independent city until 1907. After annexation to the City of Seattle, Ballard’s street names were changed to the numbered system, with a few exceptions such as Ballard Avenue NW.
In a grant-funded project in 1995, old Ballard street name mosaics were installed at eleven intersections. Artist Benson Shaw, who specializes in public art and historic restoration, did the work of creating the mosaics and imbedding them into sidewalks. The blue-and-white tiles are so authentic-looking that many people have thought that the work was original to an earlier era.
The November 16, 2016 meeting of the Ballard Historical Society will feature Mr. Shaw and his work. The meeting will begin at 7 PM at the Sunset Hill Community Association building, 3003 NW 66th Street.