Albert Balch, the developer of Wedgwood, liked to call himself a “community builder.” Although he was primarily a builder of residential homes and not of business blocks, he wanted to help provide places for services that the Wedgwood neighborhood would need, such as stores, banks and medical offices. In 1942 Balch acquired the land on the east side of 35th Ave NE at NE 85th Street. He used that corner site as a staging area for his lumber and construction equipment throughout the 1940s and 1950s. Finally in 1958-59 Balch began leasing out space to businesses. The grocery store building was built in 1959 by Tradewell, then became Matthew’s Red Apple and then QFC.
In 1958 space which Balch owned was to be leased for a hamburger drive-in at the present site of the Windermere office on the west side of the street at 8401 35th Ave NE, but it was disqualified by zoning regulations. Balch then ventured into the restaurant-building business himself when he started the Sir Wedgwood at the present site of the Wedgwood Broiler, 8230 35th Ave NE. Today the Wedgwood Broiler is in the heart of Wedgwood alongside a QFC grocery store, Homestreet Bank, hair salon, coffee shop and insurance office.
The first, very small restaurant was run by two guys, Lou Dapas and Donald R. Mills, who were also responsible for Lou’s 19-cent Hamburger Drive-In, Burien. In the struggle to get going as a “real” sit-down restaurant, in July 1967 Don Mills applied to the City of Seattle to expand the Sir Wedgwood building and to serve liquor. The application to the Board of Adjustment failed in a split vote, 3 to 2. Mills gathered more supporting statements, including an endorsement from the Wedgwood Community Club and from Albert Balch himself, and was successful in an appeal to the City Council Planning Committee.
Balch saw the need for professional restaurant management, so at the end of 1968 more experienced restaurant owners acquired the lease of the Sir Wedgwood. In 1969 the restaurant was expanded and was renamed the Sir Wedgwood Broiler, because Glen F. Jensen, owner of Blazes Broiler in Ballard, helped redesign the space. That rather awkward, long name, Sir Wedgwood Broiler, was kept through the end of 1972. The change to the shortened “Wedgwood Broiler” came in 1973.
The current owner of the Wedgwood Broiler, Derek Cockbain, began working there in 1981. Over time he did every job from dishwashing to cooking, and he became owner on March 1, 1996. Under Derek’s guidance the Broiler has continued with great food and great ambiance, a neighborhood gathering place truly in the heart of Wedgwood.
Update on Blazes Broiler: This once-popular restaurant at 2622 NW Market Street in the Ballard neighborhood closed in the year 2001. The space is occupied half by Firehouse Coffee and the other half is now a bicycle shop (as of 2016 — formerly by Stuf, a home decor store.) Next door at Limback Lumber, 2600 NW Market Street, an old Blazes Broiler banner hangs from the rafters.
Source notes (continued):
Seattle City directories: various years; accessed at Seattle Public Library, Central/9th & 10th floors.
Classified ads (for restaurant help) of 1972 used the name “Sir Wedgwood Broiler.” Listings in classified ads beginning in January 1973 show the name as Wedgwood Broiler.
“Board Denies Zoning Variance to Restaurant in Wedgwood.” Seattle Daily Times, July 29, 1967. Page 15.
“City Council Planning Committee Recommended Granting of a Variance.” Seattle Daily Times, August 31, 1967. Page 27.
“Wedgwood Broiler.” Restaurant review by Gregory Roberts, Seattle Post-Intelligencer, July 22, 2000, page 5.
The Wedgwood Broiler on Facebook.
The Wedgwood Broiler’s food challenge beaten after 47 years.