Tag Archives: WPLongform

Remembering Shearwater

UPDATE of January 2, 2019:  The Decatur Annex building is on NE 77th Street at the corner of 43rd Ave NE, at the southern end of what is now Decatur School.  The little white wood-frame Annex is the last building … Continue reading

Posted in community club (old), School histories | Tagged , , , , , , | 2 Comments

A Market on Sand Point Way NE

During the Civil War, northern industrialists went to Scandinavian countries to recruit workers for mining, logging and factory operations, in place of American men who had gone to fight for the Union. Frank Harold Rovainen (pronounced Rov-EYE-nen), born in Minnesota … Continue reading

Posted in businesses | Tagged , , , , | 7 Comments

Saving Wedgwood: Historic Preservation and Best-Use Planning in the Commercial Zones

In the 1940s during World War Two the population of Seattle swelled with war workers, and in the 1950s the population continued to increase with people who wanted to make their homes here in the beautiful Seattle area. In the … Continue reading

Posted in Architecture, Balch, Neighborhood features | Tagged , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Dooley’s Tavern on Sand Point Way NE

A few minutes after midnight on April 7, 1920, the lights began to blink and go out at the Lincoln Hotel on Fourth & Madison Streets in downtown Seattle.  The desk clerk and the night watchmen smelled smoke, and they … Continue reading

Posted in taverns | Tagged , , , | 1 Comment

Gas Stations and the Maturing of the Business District in Wedgwood

A HistoryLink article by Greg Lange tells of the large-scale layoffs of employees at Boeing Aircraft which set off a recession in Seattle from 1967 to 1972.  The population of Seattle plummeted as people left town to find work elsewhere.  … Continue reading

Posted in businesses, gas stations | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

Wedgwood’s NE 95th Street Gas Station Intersection

In the 1940s the intersection of 35th Avenue NE and NE 95th Street had gas stations on three corners, and a used-car lot as well.   This intersection on the northern boundary of the Wedgwood neighborhood once called itself Morningside or … Continue reading

Posted in businesses, gas stations | Tagged , , , , | 2 Comments

Gas Stations and Growth in Northeast Seattle: Gray’s Service Station

From 1936 to 1940 King County, Washington, which includes the greater Seattle area, undertook a survey of all existing buildings, both houses and businesses.  The survey was 75% funded by the federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) which helped provide jobs … Continue reading

Posted in boundaries, businesses, churches, gas stations, Land records and surveys, Neighborhood features | Tagged , , , , , , | 2 Comments