The Wedgwood neighborhood in Seattle took its name from a real estate development which was started in 1941 by Albert Balch. In an interview for the community club newspaper in April 1956, Balch told the story of how the name “Wedgwood” came to be. Balch and his business partner had previously named and built houses in View Ridge, a neighborhood centered around NE 70th Street on the slope east of 35th Ave NE, looking toward Lake Washington. Balch’s wife Edith hadn’t liked the name View Ridge, so Balch told her she could choose the name of the next project.
In 1941 Balch began building houses in a forty-acre section of land which was heavily treed and had never been developed. The site was from NE 80th to 85th Streets, 30th to 35th Avenues NE. When Balch purchased the acreage it still had a log cabin on it. That log cabin had been the residence of Mr. Thorpe, a ginseng farmer, and later was used as a Catholic chapel.
For this new plat, Edith chose the name “Wedgwood.” The name was in honor of English potterymaker Josiah Wedgwood, whose work Edith greatly admired, and was also a reference to the wooded nature of the new housing area. Balch traced his family ancestry from England and he likely was pleased with Edith’s choice of a name referencing his heritage, as the Wedgwood company still operates in England today. The Wedgwood dinnerware company is known for fine craftsmanship, a value held by Balch as well, as he intended to build good-quality homes. Balch had asked his architects, Harlan Thomas and Clyde Grainger, to design the Wedgwood development in Cape Cod and Colonial styles which harkened to England and to the New England villages of the early American era. The name “Wedgwood” with its British connections was suitable to convey the quality and character of the homes Balch was building.
At first the name “Wedgwood” meant specifically Balch’s housing development, but it soon caught on and businesses along 35th Ave NE started calling themselves “Wedgwood.” The present-day Wedgwood Ale House at 8515 35th Ave NE was one of the first, as the phone book listing of 1945 shows that it had been renamed Wedgwood Tavern. It had previously been called Hansen’s, and Mr. Hansen also built the building which now houses All That Dance at 8507 35th Ave NE. Most of the new businesses which moved into that building in the period 1946-48 called themselves “Wedgwood” (deli, pharmacy, radio & appliance store.)
In the 1940s and 1950s other local businesses changed their names to “Wedgwood” as Hansen’s Tavern had done. Foster’s plant nursery at 7744 35th Ave NE became Wedgwood Gardens. The original 1946 sales building at the site is now used by Hunter Tree Farm. The Morningside Presbyterian Church which had been at the corner of NE 95th Street (present site of Northeast Veterinary) renamed themselves Wedgwood Presbyterian in anticipation of the church’s move to their new building at 8008 35th Ave NE in 1951. In 1953-55 a new school was built on NE 85th Street at the corner of 30th Ave NE and was named Wedgwood School.
Wedgwood’s neighborhood identity continued to develop in the 1940’s and 1950’s. In 1956 the Wedgwood Community Club established its boundaries from NE 75th to 95th Streets. In the business community two streams of thought diverged on how to spell the neighborhood name: Wedgwood or Wedgewood? In 1952 Bud Gagnon’s Wedgewood Pharmacy was at 8501 35th Ave NE, and three years later he built a larger store on the corner of NE 86th Street (later torn down to build the brick bank building presently occupied by Wells Fargo.) It seemed that Albert Balch’s own real estate people were unsure about it, as newspaper advertisements appeared variously with either spelling. The Oneida Gardens apartment complex at 3716 NE 75th Street changed its name and today has kept the spelling Wedgewood Estates.
Currently most businesses in Wedgwood use the without-E spelling as they know the story of the naming by Albert and Edith Balch, and that the dinnerware company spells it that way. The new apartment building which opened July 10, 2012, at 8606 35th Ave NE in Wedgwood was named Jasper because Jasperware is another one of the product lines of the original Wedgwood company in England.