Tag Archives: Wedgwood Ale House

Redefining the Boundaries of Wedgwood in the 1950s

In the 1940s and 1950s the neighborhoods of northeast Seattle grew rapidly, with housing developments filling up what had been semi-rural areas which were still outside the city limits.  Some people resisted the process of being absorbed into the City … Continue reading

Posted in boundaries, community club (old), name of the neighborhood, Plat names | Tagged , , , , , | 3 Comments

Names in the Neighborhood: Wedgwood’s Boundaries and Neighborhood Identity

In the early 1900s Wedgwood in northeast Seattle did not have a name or definite identity as a neighborhood. Some areas in or near Seattle, such as the Fremont neighborhood, had been started with an official name.  In May 1888 … Continue reading

Posted in boundaries, community club (old), name of the neighborhood, Neighborhood features | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

What about the “E” in Wedgwood?

The Wedgwood neighborhood in Seattle took its name from a real estate development which was started in 1941 by Albert Balch.  The naming happened gradually after Balch’s Wedgwood group of houses became well-known. In an April 1956 interview for the … Continue reading

Posted in apartments, Balch, boundaries, businesses, name of the neighborhood | Tagged , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Wedgwood’s First Business District

The development of Wedgwood’s first business district began with J.W. (Joe) Shauer, an enterprising businessman who moved his family from Greenwood to Wedgwood in 1920.  Mr. Shauer (pronounced shower) paid $1,000 for an acre of property on the west side … Continue reading

Posted in businesses, ginseng farm, taverns | Tagged , | Leave a comment